Futureversity believes all young people have the potential to be extraordinary. We provide free courses and activities for 11-25 year olds to help them develop the skills and self-belief they need to make the most of their lives.
Our programmes have been proven to raise aspirations, reduce youth crime, break down racial tensions and get unemployed young people off benefits and into work.
Previously known as Tower Hamlets Summer University, we changed our name in 2010 to reflect our growing network outside the borough. Since our inception in 1995, we have worked with over 160,000 young people all across London.
Our programme aims
Aimed at reducing the cumulative impact of multiple problems that are as a direct result of school breaks, the aims of the programme are to:
We have 10 core impact measurements. Overall 80% of participants said that learning about the Super Powers had helped them.
‘I liked the way each day had its own sort of adventure, knowing that in some way or other, it is building us as a person as well as bringing up our skills which we never knew we had. Also, getting free food and knowing that it was provided for us was an extra bonus!’
‘Now I know what qualities are needed of me to be successful in terms of employability skills and I know which of the Super Powers I need to build on.’
‘I liked the way each day had its own sort of adventure, knowing that in some way or other, it is building us as a person as well as bringing up our skills’
1. Participant Satisfaction and Advocacy:
- Retention rates: 76% of participants completed the whole course
- 100% said they would take part in Vacation Education again
2. Learning Momentum:
- 94% said what they had learnt would impact positively on their return to school
- Pre-programme 53.5% of participants felt driven
- Post programme 84.98% of participants felt driven
- 31.38% of participants saw an improvement in their drive
4. Self- assured:
- Pre-programme 62.3% of participants felt self-assured
- Post programme 85.16% of participants felt self-assured
- 22.86% of participants felt an improvement
- Pre-programme 41.4% of participants felt resilient
- Post programme 75.80% of participants felt resilient
- Improvement +34.4% of participants felt an improvement in their resilience
- Post programme 40.9% more participants felt they could now cope under pressure
- Post programme 43.2% more participants felt they could sort their own problems
A word from our chair
Now in our 23rd year of operation, Futureversity has continued to provide inspiring non-formal education experiences to the wonderfully diverse young people of Tower Hamlets and surrounding boroughs, despite continuing challenging economic times.
Through our partnerships with businesses and organisations, we bridge the gap between education and employments with career tasters, employability training, volunteering, work experience opportunities, and creative, sports and life skills development. We focus on inspiring young people, opening them up to real experience of different careers and passions that might otherwise be beyond their reach.
Futureversity has always been at the leading edge of youth development, seeing need before others and innovating solutions since its inception in 1995. In that time we have delivered to over 165,000 young people. The continued hard work of our staff, business volunteers, volunteer Youth Leaders and the young people who choose to take part is a testament in itself.
Futureversity’s flagship programme is Vacation Education. Vacation Education is one of our most significant recent innovations which was first piloted in 2015 and has led to great outcomes for the young people involved. 2018 saw us deliver Vacation Education with six schools in Essex for the first time as well as continuing to deliver in a Vacation Education programme in Tower Hamlets.
Our Greenwich Summer Youth Programme – Stride into Summer 2018, was a massive success with over 70 courses to choose from and 1100 young people participating.
We will continue to build on our 20+ years of experience and how-to-knowledge of delivering great courses and programmes, by listening to young people and developing solutions to help them reach their full potential.
My personal thanks to everyone involved in 2018 and I hope you can find ways to participate or support our activities; please reach out to me with your ideas, contributions or offers of support – firstname.lastname@example.org
Alex Minford, Chair of Trustees, Futureversity